-->

Friday, April 12, 2013

How Deep the Father's Love for us

Something really cool happened today… Within the last month or so, I had noticed that little things in my house were beginning to disappear after some of my guys had been visiting me here in my house. I had a pretty good idea who it was because they were things in particular that I knew he liked, and things that he had brought to my attention, however, I wanted to be very careful in confronting this person because I never want to have the boys feel that I view them as thieves (which unfortunately their responses from others is just that, that they are thieves and delinquents.) So, until I knew for sure I was just going to be aware, and continue loving on them.



Today, this boy who I had suspected had been stealing from me came to me and began saying some weird things. He told me that he didn’t deserve to have the friends that he has and especially me. I was quite confused, but asked him why he thought that. He was hesitant, but he finally opened up, and with much shame in his eyes, confessed that he had stolen from me and he specified each thing that he had stolen from me (which happened to be the very things I noticed missing: toothpaste, nail clippers, a flashlight, etc.) It is pretty crazy how God works because it seems that God has been confronting him a lot in his heart lately because he even said that he felt something telling him that he needed to share this with me, and ask for forgiveness.  He felt very ashamed, but definitely confessed and repented, and was willing to accept the consequences. He had told me that he had wanted to return the things and that he understood that to be the right thing to do, but he explained to me that he had already sold the things for money for food, clothes, etc.  He was afraid because he thought that my love for him would change or that I would view him as a thief. It was neat because I could really minister to him in that time and teach him many things. I explained to him that what had happened hasn’t changed how I feel about him that in fact, he is still very important to me. However I did express to him that it does make me sad to know what has happened, but I am proud of him for having the confidence to confront me and do what is right. I was provided the opportunity to talk to him about character, which with this boy in particular God has given me the privilege to see some of the fruit of all the effort that we have been putting into him to teach him and form in him character. (I am talking like 180 degree change from when I first met him). I told him that even though we ALL have needs, we have the decision to steal or not, and that our “needs” don’t give us the excuse to steal, and that unfortunately through stealing we lose something much greater in value which is our character, trust, integrity. He had told me that he would never steal from me again, and I told him well together we can work on this temptation.

I forgave him, and was given the opportunity to explain to him, WHY Jesus died on a cross for us... We are NONE of us perfect, but even so God sent his son Jesus to die for ALL of our sins, past, present and future....I also explained to him that when we accept Jesus in our hearts, ALL of our sins get erased, and that God no longer sees us. He sees Jesus living within us... It was a very good time to share with him what forgiveness is, and even to just teach him about simple things about house etiquette and boundaries, respecting others... Thank you Lord for working in this boy’s life, and thank you for allowing me to be a part of it. Please continue to reveal yourself to him, and continue to build him up to be a solid son of yours. Thanks Jesus that you paid for all of our sins, past present and future, help us to walk firmly in your ways. In Jesus’s name I pray… Amen.

No comments: